Thursday, January 8, 2009

"light green"

Color me lazy, we receive five channels of cable TV without an antenna. So, after I wake up and make breakfast, sometimes, i perch on the couch and try to find something mindless to watch. This is fairly novel to me because i have not had television in about five years. And now, thanks to the government ( no seriously, I'm happy about this) those five channels will disappear once TV goes digital. SO, I don't feel like a complete wretch watching The View while I eat my hash brown.

Ok, that's a total lie, I feel like a complete wretch and most of the time find myself looking around for someone to yell at. My plants don't deserve the anxiety, so I keep to myself. 

Anyway, this morning, they're talking about how to be "Light Green." Live an eco-friendly lifestyle without, well, really going green... or breaking the bank. This woman comes on and displays all kinds of fruits, vegetables, and meats that you "needn't waste your money on buying organic." Oranges & avocados for instance, they have a hard peel that pesticides don't really penetrate, so WHY spend your money!? Right? Bleh. 

I WISH we could have good, REAL food without spending the extra money, sure. We deserve it. The fact that we've gone so long the way we have is crazy, but unfortunately, I don't think the prices of organic foods will ever go down without support from the communities and larger grocery stores. We need to support organic farming practices not only because it is the right thing to do, and that factory farming really destroys our ability to keep farming; but because if we don't support these practices buy buying organic and local as often as we can, they will continue to be expensive!! 

sigh. 

No comments: