Saturday, November 6, 2010

on humanity. maybe this should be 2 separate posts.

Somehow while I was gone, I forgot that people are capable of being really awful because they think the world owes them something. I am nodding at retail service for reminding me of this fact. However, on the flip-side, so many of my regulars are responding to my being back at work. The reactions range from total and utter lack of realization that someone they see every morning was gone, to a look of confused recognition at the sight of my smile, to a hug and exclamation, "WHERE have you been?" Some of these people knew I would be gone for two months, but I wasn't able (nor did I want to) let everyone know I was leaving. I never wanted to assume that my lack of presence would be noticed, let alone missed. It made a difference in my day to have people notice I was gone, warmed the heart so to speak, and melted off the frigid attitudes of disgruntled strangers.

We experienced so much hospitality on our trip. The first city we stayed in after leaving Portland and traveling down the Rockies was Missoula, MT. Our Portland friend from MT, Craig, simply stated, "I'll make some phone calls, I'll hook you up." A few days before arriving in Missoula we had Mike's phone number. We met at his apartment, he took us to a good spot for a couple of amazing pints and dinner and let us sleep at his house. We'd never met before, and I don't know if we'll see this guy again, but we had a great time.
This happened over and over again. Missoula, Minneapolis, Wonder Lake (IL), Warren (VT), Quebec, Boston, Brooklyn, Philadelphia, Charleston, DC, Atlanta, Austin, Oklahoma City, Albuquerque, Boulder. Nearly every city we stayed in, someone extended a hand, a beer, a couch, a key, a meal, a kindness. Strangers helped us parallel park, gave us directions. A Coney Island employee gave me a quarter for my smashed penny. A new friend gave us his apartment key because I was sick. Someone cooked us stew. A musician cut us a deal on t-shirts because we were short a few Canadian dollars. A friend let us sleep in his shared skate warehouse. Someone's mom sent us away with a baggy of chocolate chip cookies. My aunt cooked us waffles. Ben's mom nearly force fed us and made me take a jacuzzi bath in her new house. I found myself wanting to spread this around, wanting to offer a bit of my whisky to every old guy in the next campsite.

I'm thankful for being reminded that despite cold hearts, overall, people are still, can be, awesome. In light of current situations, police and politics, etc, I realize that obviously, people can't be all good. Shit ain't sunshine and roses. People die. People go without. Policies are purchased. Hearts get broken and people go wandering through the night without a hand to reach for.
I. am. lucky.



No comments: